Sunday, April 1, 2012

This Weekend = Amazing

I tried SlimKatie's (www.runforcookies.com) cold oatmeal Saturday morning after a workout that left my legs just a-tremblin'! I took 1/2 cup of oats, 1/2 cup of Horizon fat-free milk, 2 Tbs of PB2, and 1 Tbs of chia seeds, mixed it all together and set it in the fridge for about 15 minutes. It was very different than the (hot) oatmeal I am used to, but it tasted delicious. I can't wait to try different varieties!

Then I met up with one of my best friends, and we headed down to Atlanta for a girls' night. We stayed at the Marriott Renaissance hotel off West Peachtree, and I had forgotten just how much I love hotels. Especially pretty hotels with views!
The room had a king bed, but J and I didn't mind sharing. In fact, we're both sprawlers, and I'm pretty sure there was still plenty of room!
I just love city views. This was a condo building near the hotel, and it just looks so fun. Almost makes me regret buying my house in the 'burbs, cause I'd love to live in a building that's all glass and steel!

We headed to a restaurant named Steamhouse Lounge for lunch. It's got this amazing wrap-around balcony that overlooks a city street. It was so much fun to sit up there for a few hours, eat some amazing crab dip and fried shrimp, and just talk. The food was amazing!

This next picture very clearly shows our afternoon after lunch:
A vampire book on my Kindle and a glass of my new favorite white wine. Needless to say, the full belly, the wine, and the reading lulled me into a nice nap!

For dinner, we hit up a place named Front Page News, which has a lot of Cajun-inspired foods. We wound up sharing a shrimp and crawfish etouffee, which was very good, but very messy!

We sat at dinner long enough for everything to go dark, and we're sitting outside on a patio lit by these quaint little lights, beside a fountain that was trickling water, and listening to city sounds. City sounds make me happy. And again, the views are never bad!

After that came an ice cream sandwich and some creme brulee - and I'm not even mentioning the drinks! I don't even want to know how much I gained!

So today, when I got home, I knew I needed to get back into the swing of things. I hit up the grocery store. I've got Spring Break this week, so no work for a week. I wanted something easy, but good for lunch all week, so I went to an old favorite -- Roasted Vegetable Pasta. It's ridiculously easy. I took 4 Roma tomatoes, a red onion, 2 yellow squash, and 2 large zucchini, chopped them up and mixed them with olive oil and minced garlic.
The colors just make me happy.
You spread them out on cookie sheets lined with tinfoil and roast in the oven at 400 degrees for about 25-30 minutes.
I cooked an entire box of Barrillo angel hair pasta and once it's cooked, toss the roasted veggies on top.
Then pile onto your plate and enjoy!

So that was lunch. Dinner tonight was at my parents' house. My dad got to come home from the hospital and he is doing great! I'm so relieved. To celebrate, my mom cooked a London broil, roasted some asparagus and baby potatoes, and drizzled olive oil over French bread. I was proud of myself for sticking to the London broil, the asparagus, and some chopped tomatoes. No potatoes or bread - yay!

Going to weigh myself tomorrow morning before my run. I'm trying something a little bit different from Weight Watchers, and I'll explain more about it tomorrow.

Tomorrow is a 5-miler, one I can do first thing in the morning. I am so excited. Love weeks off of work!

**
What was the best part of YOUR weekend?

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I found you via Runs for Cookies, and I enjoyed reading your posts, but I was especially hooked when I saw that you are a Weather Channel fan. Hello, kindred spirit! :) Ask me about my anenometer. ;)

    I have to ask...what is your "new favorite white wine"? Whites are my favorite, too! LOVE the roasted vegetable idea! What a great way to use all those veggies that overflow in the garden toward the end of summer, especially! Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Steph! I do, I DO love The Weather Channel! It's a total obsession, and my friends make fun of me for it, but when the weather turns bad, you can imagine who they text for updates! :) I have a newfound love for Guido Mazzarello moscato. It's a fresh, almost bubbly white wine - SO GOOD! You should totally try it!!! Welcome - so glad to have you here! :)

      Amanda

      Delete
  2. I have been searching for this wine and can not find it anywhere! Could you please tell me how you found it and if you can still buy it! I am from WV and would love to pay top dollar for a bottle! My inlaws introduced me to a family friend who is a wine journalist in Georgia! We had a wine tasting party and he introduced me to Guido! Very excellent wine!

    ReplyDelete