Thursday, April 12, 2012

Netflix, Tempo Runs, and the Dreaded 'Mill

So, Internet, I have a confession to make.

I do not enjoy speedwork and/or tempo runs.

However, I think the reason that I don't enjoy them is because at the moment, the only way I can accurately maintain a specific pace to keep the tempo/speedwork legit is to do so on the treadmill - or as SlimKatie at runsforcookies.com calls it, the dreadmill.

It's just... boring. Running in place, staring at these tiny TVs suspended from the ceiling, all of which are set on either Speedvision, CNN, or the Military Channel. I wish I were kidding. So I get on the treadmill, resigned to a 40-50 minute run, run for what feels like forever, then risk a glance at the clock to find out I have managed to run for a grand total of 2 minutes and 24 seconds.

So I took my iPhone to the gym this week. I had a 4-mile tempo run planned and knew I'd desperately need entertainment. I pulled up Netflix and debated - ohhh, the hard decisions in life. :)

Lost or How I Met Your Mother?

How I Met Your Mother won. I needed faster-paced, less dramatic entertainment. The last time I ran to Lost, I kept gasping, which kind of scared the man on the dreadmill beside me. So I chose to watch Ted, Barney, Marshall, Lily and Robin. And this time, my giggles made the man running beside me keep looking at me.

I guess a girl sweating it out through fits of giggles in the middle of the gym is an oddity. Who knew?

So 4 miles,in 50 minutes. Average pace was 12:35, which thrilled me. For the last few treadmill runs, I have been pulling a 13:15 minute pace. Why is it that 13:15 minute mile on the treadmill feels so much faster than a 12:45 mile outside? So I run slightly slower on the easy portions of my run on the treadmill, which slows down my overall average. But this was firmly in the 12:00s.

Those of you who can knock a mile out in less than 10 minutes... don't laugh at me! I will get there one day.... One fine day....

Saturday's run is a 5K race. I'm supposed to run 6 miles according to SmartCoach, but I figure 3 miles at race pace could be just as intense as 6 miles easy. And this is my last week of a 3-run-per-week life. Beginning next week, I start 4 days of running a week. I'm a little bit nervous, but even more excited.

I mean, hey, let's face it. Any extra miles equals that many extra calories burned, which means I can eat more wings and Reese's peanut butter cups. But not at the same time. That'd be weird.

I know, I suck with pictures. I will get better... one day!

One fine day.... :)

Today's food:
Breakfast - cold oatmeal, coffee, half & half
AM Snack - Yoplait blueberry Greek yogurt
Lunch: eggplant fries, cucumbers, tomatoes, 2 tbs Light Ranch
PM Snack - Cheezit BIG (I know, not the healthiest, but so good!)
Dinner: (going to a baseball game, soooo.... probably Chick-Fil-A chicken sandwich, but maybe nachos if I'm weak in willpower).

Weigh-in is rapidly coming up on Saturday... Let's see if my willpower holds out and I am rewarded!

**
What good decisions did YOU make today?

How do you entertain yourself while running on the treadmill?

No comments:

Post a Comment