Thursday, March 8, 2012

Abs, Arms, and Speed

After the food-fest yesterday, I started and ended today with a workout. I felt like I just really needed it!

The workout this morning was fab. I was super sore still in my thighs and rear from Tuesday's workout (isn't that the greatest feeling ever?), so I decided to stick with abs and arms. I set my interval timer for 16 rounds of 40 second work interval and 10 second rest intervals, and got to work:

1: Scissor Leg Switch and Butt Lift - 6 // 6
2: Toe Touch Ab Work - 11 / 11
3: Elevated Knee Lift (in push-up position, feet elevated on a chair, and you draw one knee at a time in towards your chest) - 19 // 20
4: Elevated Side Plank Lift Left (feet elevated in the chair, resting sideways with one hand on the ground, the other straight in the air. You lower your hips, then lift back to start, using your obliques to do so) - 10 // 11
5: Elevated Side Plank Lift Right - 1- // 11
6: Pushups - 11 / 9
7: Military Pushups (arms very close by your side, works more of your triceps than chest) - 8 // 7
8: Reverse Pushups (using a dip station) - 8 // 9

It took 13:30 and was pretty amazing. I love short and fast workouts!

Then, after work today, I hit up the gym to get some speedwork in. SmartCoach had given me today's assignment: Run 4 miles, including a warm up and cool down. Run 2 x 1600 at 11:23 minutes per mile, with 800-meter recovery run between each, and then a cooldown. So after realizing how bored I could get on a treadmill during last week's tempo run, I came prepared:
That scariness would be Matthew Fox's eye, peering out at me from my mother's iPad (I may have stolen it!) just as he wakes up from a plane crash in LOST. It's amazing how much better the run was when I could watch LOST while running!

Only bad thing was when I scared the man beside me because I gasped out loud when part of the plane exploded on the beach. I had headphones on and he wasn't looking at my iPad. All the poor man knew was that the weirdo woman on the treadmill beside him did a weird gasp/shriek thing randomly. I don't think it was a coincidence that he changed treadmills minutes later.

It didn't hurt at all to run. I may or may not have fallen off a table Tuesday at work (long story.... Okay, not so long, I'm just an idiot) and have this monster bruise on my shinbone. The picture doesn't do it justice and it makes my leg look weird, but I'm showing you anyway:
I know. It's a scary scary super albino pale leg, but the BRUISE is supposed to be the scary part!

But no pain at all. Much relief. Although, I will say, the super-slow recovery jogs amidst the speedwork jack with my average speed. I ran two miles in a consistent 11:23 minute per mile, but the other slow 2 miles made my average pace in 13:00s. Oh, well. There is a point to the slowness, there IS a point! Now, tomorrow is a rest day before my 5-mile "long" run on Saturday!

Happy Thursday, everyone!

Running Log powered by RunningAHEAD

1 comment:

  1. I love it when I am sore. Your morning workout looks fun(?), maybe I will try it tomorrow. That's okay I sing out loud while running outside. I am sure people think I am crazy. I hope your bruise goes away fast and doesn't end up hurting.

    ReplyDelete