Sunday, March 25, 2012

Cherry Blossom 10K -- A Definite Victory!

Headed down to spend the Cherry Blossom Festival weekend with my extended family. Saturday morning was the 10K race. I woke up nervous - at what point do the nerves go away?!?

I did great. I was super proud of myself. I ran all 6.2 miles at a much faster pace than normal. My last few long runs have been at roughly 13:30 minutes per mile. But I finished the race in 1:11:29, which was an 11:32 mile! My last 6-miler that I ran took 1:21, so it was a full 10 minutes faster. A definite win for me!

The guy who won the race did so in 39 minutes. I am amazed.

What really made the event interesting was the race results:

Name From Bib # Age Place Finish Finish time
Amanda **** Athens GA 515 19 1 F 15-19 1:11:29.0

Um.... I am not from Athens. I am definitely NOT 19. And I'm willing to bet I was not the first person in that so-called age bracket to cross the finish line after an hour and eleven minutes! I went back to double check my registration information, and all the information was correct on the form, so who knows what happened.

Also, I wound up running beside a girl for 5.75 miles of the race. We ran at about the same pace and it was so nice to have someone to talk to while running. I crossed the finish line maybe 20 seconds before she did.

But in the race results, the person to finish before me crossed the finish line 2 minutes, 17 seconds before I did. And the next person to finish after me crossed the line 3 minutes and 21 seconds. No record at all of someone finishing directly behind me.

I may have called my mom and said, "You saw someone there, right? She's not a ghost?!?"

I have no idea, but someone jacked up those results.


In other news, I am going to go back to posting what I eat. I got off that for a week or so, and it was far too easy to pretend I never ate ALL THOSE Reese's peanut butter eggs. Starting tomorrow, I am back on track (again!). Le sigh. Such is the life of a girl who is NOT a natural skinny girl! :)

**
How was everyone's weekend? Anything interesting happen?!?

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your race, that is so awesome!!! Glad to see you are back on track AGAIN, I am too. We should "check in" with each other to make sure we are behaving.

    Congrats again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the race! I'm so happy it went well for you :)

    ReplyDelete